Saturday, November 25, 2006

Shopping Emporium

We gave in to the driver, who was keen that we should visit a factory / shop. Although we know that the way it works is that the driver gets a commission on anything we buy there, it was a way to shut him up and also to see some fabric being printed.This chap moves so quickly I never managed to time the photo so he was actually "printing". Practice makes perfect though. So Hanna and I had a go:Note the lovely red colour of the ink.

And this is one he made earlier! When left out in the sun, the pigments change colour dramatically.

Then we went inside to look at saris for Hanna. And I tried one on too but resisted the sales pitch to buy it.
First they tie one end around your waist. Once round, then back to the middle and start bunching it up (pleating gracefully, I mean):
Tuck that in at the middle and then round again and up over the left shoulder:
Ta dah!

Then we did a little more bazaar shopping and then went to dinner at somewhere the driver suggested. I don't have photos as I left my camera in the car, but it was basically an outdoor restaurant (mosquitoes included) with adequate food and a small crouched band and a couple of ladies who danced very energetically with saris and bells and dragging guests out to join them (we avoided eye contact).

Back to the hotel and a good night's sleep.

No comments: