Thursday, December 14, 2006

Last Day?

Today is my last full day in India. I've probably said that 3 times now, and so far I've been proved wrong each time. In Mumbai in June, I thought that there would be no more opportunities for me to come out. Last month in Delhi I really thought it was my last time, but as you can read, I was proved wrong at the 11th hour. This time, I feel I may not be wrong. The project is winding down and we have our official team "wrap" party next Wednesday. Never say never though, stranger things have happened.

I like coming out for short trips (although perhaps 2 1/2 days is pushing the "short" definition to its minimum limit), as I get a chance to experience the challenge and the variety and the different culture, but don't have to settle down to the long haul and deal with homesickness (much) or life moving on without me back home.

It's tough to stay in touch when there's a 5 1/2 hour time difference, without one person keeping extremely antisocial hours. And going away for short trips (longest so far has been 3 weeks) means that I don't need to worry too much about watering plants, sorting out "vacant property" buildings insurance or dealing with post that arrives and needs immediate action. Admittedly I have come home to water leaks from the flat upstairs the last two times I've been away, but that would surely have happened anyway, and wasn't particularly exacerbated by my absences.

So today I had to do an "early" shift. 9-5ish. Early? Not particularly, unless you convert it into GMT, which makes it 03.30 - 11.30 - which is just plain wrong. Normally, on a longer trip, I'd get onto IST pretty fast then the early time wouldn't bother me: this time, I'm trying not to get onto IST too much as I just have to get off it on Saturday (and go to the team night out in Edinburgh which will mean a late night). But having to set my (GMT) mobile alarm to 01.30am last night was rather disturbing. I made it though, and actually met one of my colleagues going to bed this morning (around 8.15am) as I was leaving for work. A contingent had gone to the Orchid Karaoke bar after the restaurant, with Hilarious Consequences, evidently.

Work was good - I got everything done I wanted to and I think that the delegates have demonstrated their new skills. They gave me presents when I left, which was lovely, and so did one of my previous delegates too (I'd trained her back in the UK in April). So I now have two nice new Indian bags to use.

Got back to the hotel, did a bit of admin and then wandered up to the Club Lounge to catch up with colleagues who had had the day off before their flights home tonight. I had commissioned one of them to pick up some XXXXXX for me, that I'd seen in Delhi and regretted not having bought. Can't disclose the purchase at this time as the recipient(s) may be reading! So I ordered a drink, had some canapes, had some nice chat with various co-workers (all female, oddly) and generally enjoyed my last evening in India. There are some lovely people here at the moment, and (unusually, compared to previous trips) a significant number of them are mature women, who can gossip and chat and generally have a good sociable evening on a range of topics. Lovely. Then we all headed back to our rooms to pack and generally prepare ourselves for the journey ahead.

I'll miss India, but I think I've had my fair share now and although I'm very sad not to have the prospect of seeing some of the friends I've made again, I think I can move on without regret and see what happens next. Novosibirsk?!!*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have looked all over the place for the footnote to Novosibirsk and I can't find it. Is it a Gazprom (?) secret?

Livia said...

shh don't say the G word. I actually decided not to put the footnote in, but forgot to take the * off. Sorry.

Janet said...

Regarding time zones: Dipak, who comes from Dudley and is as Black country as they come, says that he finds the switch to GMT a particular pain when phoning India. His fiancee lives in Mumbai, so either she has to stay up late for him to phone, or else they just speak at the weekend.

He's going through the whole process of sorting out her immigration at the moment, which means having people round to check how many bedrooms they've got etc etc.

Anonymous said...

Why do they need to know how many bedrooms he has if he is British nds rather oppressive.

Janet said...

He has to show that he can support her, and that they will not be overcrowded. I'm not sure what their next step is; or how far through the various wedding ceremonies they are.

On the other hand, Nothando who comes from Zimbabwe has passed her Citizenship test, and therefore knows about the workings of Parliament than the average Brit! I think she goes to swear allegiance to the Queen at some point, but not sure when. She was quite worried about the test before hand, but it means that the family has more security here.